History of the Church of Holy Family

1865
A small group of Catholics started meeting in private homes and an old log schoolhouse. This was the first presence of the Catholic Church in Kasson/Mantorville.

1875
Construction began on the first Catholic Church in Kasson.

1879
Completion of the Catholic Church in Kasson. Cost was $2,300. Dedicated in the name of St. Margaret.

1884
Church was destroyed by fire. Masses were once again held in private homes by the priest of St. John's of Rochester.

1910
A church was purchased in Mantorville. It was named St. Margaret’s and dedicated by Reverend Bishop Heffron.

1954
A Catholic Church was built in Kasson and dedicated, in the name of St. Olaf, by Bishop Edward A. Fitzgerald.

1954
Below is a heavy brass plate from this original church.

1963
Holy Family School was erected on our current site. This was a combined effort by St. Margaret's and St. Olaf's parishes.

1976
St. Olaf Church property was sold and planning began for the new Holy Family Church.

1977
June 12: St. Margaret's held their last Mass.

1977
June 19: Holy Family Church was dedicated by Father Robert Kulas and Bishop Loras J. Watters. Cost of the structure was $85,000

1988
A committee was formed to define the needs of Holy Family Parish under the directon of Father Dale Tupper.

1989
A building fund was established for the building of a new church.

1994
June 19: A ground breaking was held to celebrate the building of the new church addition.

1995
April 15: First Mass was held for Easter vigil.

1995
June 11: Dedication and Blessing by Father Charlie Collins and the Reverend Bishop John G. Vlazny.

2005
Father Paul Surpernant was appointed by Bishop Harrington.